“I love this city I have called home for the past 23 years, and if elected it would be a sincere honor to serve as your Mayor.”
Here are some of the primary accomplishments I have achieved working with Mayor and Council over the past six years
Serve as Mayor Pro Tem since 2014
Co-Chair of Canton Forward Downtown and River Mill Master Plan that created a strategic direction for adaptive reuse projects, such as The Mill on Etowah and Academy & Main. Helped secure grant funding from the Atlanta Regional Commission to do study.
Fiscal Responsibility – Helped lower or roll back taxes since in office, reduce debt, solid record of financial oversight. Canton enjoys the lowest taxes of any city in Cherokee County.
Recruitment of Billy Peppers as City Manager
Key negotiator for land swap with CCSD to preserve and repurpose Mill Office and Grammar School for Academy & Main development
Helped plan and launch our trail system and expansion of the Etowah River Walk
Served on the committee to create Canton’s new brand identity
Strong advocate of intelligent growth and “Quality Over Quantity” development strategy
Served on Water & Sewer Master Plan Committee
Chaired Fire Services Committee
Community Service Prior to Council:
Helped create Canton Main Street program and served as the first President
Engaged member of the Canton Variance Board of Appeals
Citizen member of Canton Charter Committee
President of Cherokee County Arts Center
Active member of Cherokee Historical Society
Bill was born in Dalton, Georgia and has lived in Canton for over 23 years. Bill operates his internationally recognized branding and marketing firm, Grant Design Collaborative, in the former Galt building in Downtown Canton. His residence is located in the historic East Main Street district. Both his home and office building has received the Historic Preservation Award by the Cherokee County Historical Society.
Bill grew up in a lower middle class family, and he has always worked hard to be successful. He graduated high school with honors and paid his way through Berry College with academic and work scholarships. After college, Grant began his career in marketing and advertising. He opened his own business in 1989, and relocated Grant Design Collaborative to Canton in 1996. His firm collaborates with Fortune 500 companies; such as Adobe Systems, Georgia-Pacific, Mohawk, Ind., Muzak and Herman Miller, and with local entrepreneurs; such as Goin’ Coastal, Audio Intersection, Benson Media and Jyl Craven. In addition, Grant Design Collaborative has donated substantial pro-bono services to local organizations, such as the Service League of Cherokee County, Cherokee Family Violence Center, Cherokee Historical Society, Canton Main Street, Cherokee Arts Center, and the City of Canton.
Successful Business Professional:
Bill is President and Creative Director for a highly acclaimed marketing firm, Grant Design Collaborative in Historic Downtown Canton.
Bill was the first National President of AIGA, the Professional Association for Design, elected outside of New York and San Francisco. The association has over 28,000 members and 70 chapters.
Bill was named an AIGA Fellow in 2005.
Bill helped author and produce the AIGA “Business and Ethical Expectations for Professional Designers.”
Bill assisted in curriculum development for the AIGA Harvard Business School program “Business Perspectives for Design Leaders.”
Bill was recently named one of Graphic Design USA’s “50 Most Influential Designers Working Today.”
Bill graduated with highest honors from Berry College in 1984 where he earned a BA in English and Psychology.
Bill completed the Harvard Business School Executive Education Program, “Business Perspectives for Creative Leaders”.
Elect to keep moving Canton Forward with thoughtful, experienced and responsible leadership. Canton citizens trust Bill Grant’s vision and accomplishments for the city he has served successfully and proudly for many years.
Bill Grant is the only candidate with the experience and executive leadership skills to continue the positive momentum he has helped to create for Canton.
- Elected to two terms as Councilman and served as Mayor Pro Tem his entire tenure from 2014-2019.
- Certificate of Recognition, Professional Training, Georgia Municipal Association.
- CEO and Owner of Grant Design Collaborative in downtown Canton, a successful internationally recognized brand design and marketing firm for over 23 years.
- Former National President of AIGA, the largest professional association of design professionals with over 20,000 members and 75 chapters nationwide.
Bill Grant is the proven fiscal conservative in this race. He is respected by fellow elected officials for his acute assessment of city finances, budgets, contracts and accountability to taxpayers.
- Worked and voted to lower, roll back or hold steady the city millage rate every year he served, 2014-2019.
- Maintained the lowest taxes of any city in Cherokee County, 2014-2019.
- Consistently demonstrated the most fiscally responsible voting record on Council, 2014-2019
- Worked with Economic Development Director to streamline the process for starting a new business.
- Worked to generate new economic growth opportunities throughout the City.
Quality of Life
Bill Grant is the only candidate for Mayor who has actively worked to preserve Canton’s character and historic assets while promoting adaptive reuse projects to revitalize our local economy and shared sense of place.
- Co-Chaired the Canton Forward Downtown and River Mill Master Plan to create a strategic direction for adaptive reuse projects, such as The Mill on Etowah and Academy & Main. Helped secure grant funding from the Atlanta Regional Commission.
- Helped plan and launch our trail system and expansion of the Etowah River Walk Trail Plan.
- Key negotiator for land swap to preserve Mill Office and Grammar School for Academy & Main Project
- Helped found the Canton Main Street program and served as its first President.
- Active member and contributor, Cherokee County Historical Society.
- Strong advocate of sustainable growth and “Quality over Quantity” development strategy.
- Served as engaged member on the Variance Board of Appeals prior to Council.
Infrastructure and Public Safety
Bill Grant has a thorough understanding of our City’s infrastructure systems and future needs, and our Canton Police Department recognizes him as a strong supporter of their efforts to keep Canton safe.
- Served on the Water and Sewer Master Plan Committee.
- Advocated for a third party rating assessment to ensure a strategic 10-year paving plan for streets and roads.
- Strong supporter of our Canton Police Department and Community Policing program.
Here is the information about voting in the City of Canton General Municipal Election
Voter Registration Deadline
Monday, October 7
Oct 14-Oct 18
Oct 28-Nov 1
Monday – Friday, 8:30 -5:00 at Cherokee County Elections & Registration Office, 400 E. Main St., Canton, GA 30114
Election Day – November 5, 7:00am-7:00pm. Must vote at your assigned precinct on Election Day
For more voter information, please click here: http://voter.cherokeega.com/election.cfm?election=21